Just like us, our dogs can sometimes get sick
If another dog has a cough or is sneezing, the airborne bacteria and viruses can quickly spread.
Just like us, a robust immune system will help to fight these diseases
Here are some easy ways to help boost your dogs immune system:
- Supplements added to the diet can help to ensure your dog gets the optimum amount of all vitamins and minerals. It's especially important to include antioxidants like Vitamin A,C,E and zinc and selenium. Additionally the B vitamin are important for the extra bounce your dog will need to keep it going all day at Doggy Daycare. These can be found in some foods like liver, brewers yeast but also in tablet form.
- Dog Powder Mix - 2 cups Nutritional Yeast, 1 cup calicium carbonate powder, 1/2 cup kelp powder, 1/2 cup lecithan, 1000mg Vit C powder. Shake together and store in cool, dry place in sealed container.
- Dog Oil Mix - 1.75 cups safflower, canola or sunflower oil, 1/4 cup cod liver oil, 100 IU Vitamin E capsule. Mix together, puncturing the Vitamin E to ensure liquid comes out. Store in the fridge.
- Vitamin C is good if you suspect your pet is coming down with something, i.e. is a bit listless, off food a bit or sneezing, increase dose rate of Vitamin C to 100mg/kg (for bowel intolerance i.e. if the dog gets the runs reduce the dose rate).
- Echinaecea is excellent to use and can be purchased from the chemist or health store. Dose rates depend on the size of the dog.
- Garlic added to the food is a great natural antibiotic. There is some contradictory information stating garlic causes bleeding disorders but it is more to do with the dose rate, just like anything, you can have too much of a good thing. Take in moderation.
- Colloidal Silver if taken orally, may be used for viral infections, throat and respiratory infections, parasites, diarrhoea, allergies and many other problems.
The dosage rates outlined below are given as a guide, due to the individuality of the animal and the condition you wish to treat. This is available from Absolutely Precious Paws Doggy Daycare.
- Dogs - General maintenance
Small: 10 mls once a day
Medium: 10 mls - 15 mls once a day
Large: 5 mls - 20 mls once a day
- Dogs – Ailing
Small: 10 mls twice a day
Medium: 30 mls twice a day
Large: 40 mls - 50 mls twice a day
- Aconite is a homeopathic remedy for the onset of illness. There are many other homeopathic remedies for treating your pet and it would depend on the symptoms present as to which one is best to use. See a homeopathic Vet or research symptom lists online.
And always try:
- To feed your dog a raw or natural diet. Explore some of the Useful Links listed to the right of this page.
- To avoid overwhelming your dogs system with toxins from the environment, overuse of medication, processed foods.
- Keeping up to date with worm treatments and flea treatments. Any extra parasitic burden is going to put more of a strain on the immune system.
- Giving your dog plenty of exercise and walks. This encourages normal elimination of wastes as well as getting the blood pumping to efficiently rid the body of impurities via the kidneys & liver. Find out about our Dog Walking services.
- Regular grooming which stimulates the oil glands in the skin and the lymphatic’s, at the same time removing old hair and sloughing skin cells. A bath with an organic shampoo containing no nasty chemicals rid the skin and coat of environmental pollutants. Find out about our Grooming services.
As a dog owner you will know in your heart if your dog needs to see a Veterinarian. These are ideas to help boost your pets immune system or to treat them if you notice they are a little off colour. If their symptoms aren't improving or are getting worse, please take your pet to the Vet.